Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Snap of the Month: June, 2014



Background: I love backpacking.  It's my favorite outdoor activity.  What I love about it is that it provides me with ample opportunity to take as many pictures as I want of whatever I want.  I like shooting plants and landscapes, but what I really love shooting is animals.  Bugs, reptiles, large mammals, you name it and I like to shoot pictures of it.  Yes, even the creepy, scary, disgusting stuff; it all has something to offer.

Thoughts: In order to get a really decent animal shot, you need to stabilize your camera.  If you have a fancy camera with detachable lenses, then the option exists for you of purchasing lenses with image stabilization built in.  If this is not an option for you, making your own "tripod" is a great practice.  Most people have point-and-shoot cameras that dictate how quickly an exposure is made by your camera for a particular situation.  You need a little cooperation from the animal in question (i.e., for it to not be running everywhere) and all you have to do is set your camera on a rock, set the camera on the hood of your car, or squat down and become your own tripod.  Any of these options will help your photos to come out sharper because the camera will be steadier for longer.  It helps to eliminate as much motion from your end as possible since the animal will be moving around enough for the two of you.  So, the next time you're out and you see something interesting, try to stabilize your camera on whatever you can; legs, rocks, ground, chairs, car, etc.  It will help to improve your image quality without buying a better camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment